Friday, August 22, 2014

Ouch

On Wednesday, we attended the funeral of a dear friend and amazing lady, Elodia.  I've blogged about her before (can't link things from this darn phone), but basically,  she's our best man's wife and the mother of 2.  The whole service was beautiful and heart wrenching and she'll be so missed.   My heart breaks for them.   We plan to love on them regularly and care for them like so many people did for us when we lost Mom. 

There's the background.  The services were over,  we were joining everyone at the church and then it happened.   An old football buddy from Keith's younger days so casually and innocently asked "Do you guys have kids?"  20 seconds after meeting the man,  and he shot me straight in the heart.   Keith turned around quickly with a deer in the headlights look and I quietly answered,  "Keith has a son.  I have a stepson.  His name is Perry."  The boys continued to talk about their lives.  I bit my lip and silently thanked God for sunglasses. 

Please don't think I'm making light of our friend dying and the heart ache of all who loved her.   I'm just simply coping with the loss of our friend and our baby.   The loss of a future of answering people happily, that "yes we have 2 children." 

More and more I question what innocent questions I've asked people over the years that have caused them pain (I'm sorry).  I definitely think more before I speak (and still say stupid things).  As I reminded our widower friend, people mean no harm with their words, but sheesh sometimes they just hurt!

No comments:

Post a Comment