Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Just Give Me The Drill

There are supposed to be safe places in life.   Places you can go where the emotional/mental pain that's in your life can be forgotten for a while.  Places where my babyless existence isn't the predominant thought in my mind.

Target isn't safe.  Walmart is a battle ground.  Family reunions sheesh those are torture.  Facebook is Russian Roulette. 

But then there are the safe places - well they used to be safe.  Today, I flopped down in the dentist chair and the first words out of my hygienist's mouth were, "We'll I'm finally going to be a Grandma.  My daughter finally came through for me."  No numbing shot, no laughing gas, she just went straight for the kill.  Quite honestly, I'd rather have had the drill!

On a bright note, she didn't ask about my status (I saw her after our IUI and had to postpone xrays so she kinda knows we're trying).  And honestly, I'm happy for her and her daughter, but selfishly, I just wanted a calm tooth cleaning that didn't result in losing another safe place.  I expected chit chat on teeth, family and vacations, but instead I got baby showers, nursery colors and baby names.

Hey, at least I got a toothbrush, floss and toothpaste as a consolation prize... sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment