Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Recipes from the Riggles

I'm very guilty of cooking the same meals over and over again.  I think I got it from my Mama.  I don't remember a huge amount of variety growing up (what she cooked was amazing though). 

I've been trying my best to try some new things lately.  I thought I'd share my experiences.  One of these days I'll remember to take pictures of my concoctions.

Pork ribs in the crockpot:  Basically you put the ribs in the crockpot,  add a can of Coca Cola and some coarse sea salt and cook on low for 6-8 hours.   We had some dinner plan changes so instead of eating them immediately,  I put them in a baking dish with Sweet Baby Rays and warmed then in the oven the next night.  Everyone raved about them.   I'll definitely be cooking them again when my local store has another sale.

Crockpot Roast: I stole this recipe from Pinterest (hollybirdio is my username).  They call it Mississippi Roast.  My only modification was cutting back on the butter and adding a little juice off the peppers.

Mexican Rice:  I pieced a recipe together based off a variety of recipes and reviews.  1/4 cup of canola oil,  1 tsp each of onion powder and garlic powder,  1/2 tsp each of cumin,  chili powder and salt.   Warm oil in skillet and dissolve spices.    Add 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice.  Brown and stir for 5 minutes.   Add 1-1/2 cup chicken broth and 1 can Rotel.  Bring to a boil then lower heat to medium and cook covered until desired texture.  We like ours mushy so I cooked for approximately 20 minutes.  Next time I think I'll try less oil and won't freak out over how moist it was when I added broth/Rotel;  it quickly cooked down.

Cheesy corn: It was so unhealthy that I'm embarrassed to share,  but I'll say when you add corn,  ham,  cheese and cream cheese, magical things happen.  Again,  I blame Pinterest. 

That's all the spontaneity I've mustered up lately.  Stay tuned for more Recipes from the Riggles :)

No comments:

Post a Comment