Monday, September 22, 2014

They Walk Among Us

I had an interesting lunch today with my boss, who knows about the fertility treatments and miscarriage.   She causally mentioned in conversation that my coworker (we'll call her M) recently admitted that she's been going through fertility treatments. 

From that comment forward, I was focusing on how to approach M.  I obviously didn't want to make her uncomfortable, but I NEEDED to talk to her.  So after lunch, I tapped on her door and blurted out, "So I hear you're on the roller coaster too." (My boss had given her the heads up about me)

So we sat, and we compared stories, we complained about our doctor and we both came to the same realization - there's nothing like talking to someone who truly gets it.   Our stories aren't identical, our treatment plans are unique, but we both know the hurt, pain and disappointment.  We both long to be Moms and we both hate that it's out of our control.  

I know infertility affects tons of women.  I know I'm just another statistic.  But today, I didn't feel quite so alone or like such a failure.  I would never wish this struggle on anyone, but as long as we've got to face it, it at least helps to have others who can not only sympathize, but also empathize.  I only hope I helped M, as much as she helped me.

No comments:

Post a Comment