Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Blue Apron

I've been in a major menu rut and read about Blue Apron on a blog.  A few weeks later a FB friend posted a picture of her jambalaya and mentioned it was a Blue Apron meal so I finally bit the bullet and signed up. 

The cost was a bit intimidating, but when you compare it to going to a restaurant, it's actually cheaper and healthier.

Our first box:
1. Gnocchi - Keith loved it and I hated it.  I like plain fruit or fruit desserts, but despise fruit with meat, pasta, etc.  This whole meal tasted like Pledge, but my husband gladly ate my portion and loved it.
2. Chicken Charlemagne - This was an OK meal.  The mashed vegetables and roasted veggies were good, but again the gravy had a fruity taste.
3. Korean Pork Ragu: This dish was AMAZING!  I could eat it again and again and Keith totally agrees!  Yummy. I added extra spicy sauce to mine and we're on the hunt for the ingredients.

Our second box:
1. Chili: I really enjoyed this one, but it was too spicy for Keith.   Adding a little sour cream to the finished product made the meal.
2. Shrimp and Pineapple Fried Rice: This broke my meat and fruit combo rule.  If I had my way, I would have left the fruit out completely, but I added it for Keith, who again couldn't eat it because it was too spicy.
3. Buffalo Chicken Legs: This recipe set off the smoke alarms - cooking chicken at 450 degrees makes smoke lol.  The chicken was really juicy and flavorful, and the side salad was surprisingly good.  Keith's chicken was served bare so he didn't get to enjoy the spice on this one.

Overall, it's been fun to cook together and try new foods.  We're not making this a weekly thing, but I'd definitely recommend it to add some fun and variety to dinners!

No comments:

Post a Comment