Tuesday, November 5, 2013

The Halls

My family and I joke a lot about “being a Hall”…..sometimes I think it sounds like we have some kind of disease, “Oh that’s just the Hall in her.”  Other times, it’s more of a flying insult, “Oh she’s having a Hall fit.”  In the end though, we are a special breed of humans. 

The definition of a Hall
(noun)
1.     Someone with a stubborn streak a mile long.  We are some bullheaded people…it’s my way or the highway.  We often refer to this as determined, set in our ways, contrary, but in the end, we are just plain stubborn.
2.     Someone who is always right.  My Uncle and I like to make it clear that we are not the know-it-alls that people hate, we just simply don’t open our mouths unless we truly know the answer.  I’ll bow out gracefully if I’m clueless, but darn it if I’m telling ya I know the answer, I know the answer. 
3.     Someone who likes to fix things.  We make everyone’s problems our problems.  We mother, we take charge, we get on a mission to fix something or someone whether it is repairable or not.  I’ve been told we get a look in our eyes when we’re on this kick.
4.     We believe that all things can be fixed with food.  In happy times, in sad times, in hard times, we think that a good casserole is the perfect answer.  Someone dies, we cook. 
5.     We are bossy.  We can bark orders and make people march.  My nicknames over the years have included Chief, Bossy, Sergeant, and Hitler (didn’t say they were all nice.)
6.     We have a lead foot.  I think it relates to our impatience, but we are all notorious for pushing the gas pedal and getting in a few fender benders.
7.     We are fiercely loyal.  We have each other’s backs….some of the stories are downright comical.  Let’s just say one of the few people that divorced his way out of the family will tell you it is better to be on our good side than our bad side.
8.     And from all of the aforementioned traits, it is clear that we’re crazy.  As my Father says, we are the safe kinda nuts, you have to worry about the ones that deny their craziness. 

So there’s the Halls in a nutshell…..I wouldn’t trade my family for the world.  The whole big, loud, crazy bunch of them  =)  

No comments:

Post a Comment