Thursday, November 21, 2013

730 Days and Counting

2 years ago today (oops make that yesterday…slow to publish) I met my husband.  Some days it seems like just yesterday, other times it seems like a lifetime ago.  I figured today would be a good time to write down all I remember about our first date. 

Keith and I had texted and chatted quite a while before we met in person.  He asked me out several times, but I was so busy with a project at work, that our timing never worked out.  To add to the complexity, he was working afternoon shift while I worked day shift.  On weekends, he often had his son, so we really had to be creative about getting together.  We finally settled on a lunch date one day in the middle of November.  I remember thinking; this is going to suck like all of the other dates I had been on.  I didn’t even put effort into getting ready.  I wore clothes that I had worn before and barely did any extra prep for my hair or make-up.  I actually walked into the mall while talking to my Grandmother (we met at Garfields inside of the mall). 

When I first saw him, I thought, wow, he’s cute (and shorter than me), but he had a warm, welcoming smile that instantly calmed my nerves.  We sat down, ordered and had a good conversation over a crispy chicken salad and the lunch quesadillas.  Time seemed to fly by, but I remember it actually being fun.  We left the restaurant and went our separate ways.  When he didn’t walk me to my car, I thought, well, guess that didn’t go as well as I hoped (guess I should have bought new outfit lol). 

Later in the day, I got a text from him…things were looking up.  From there, we started talking daily.  We got together for lunches, dinners and desserts.  I could write for hours about the fun dates we went on and the times he showed up after a long shift just to bring me dessert.  He was the guy that I waited quite a long time for. 

I’ll never forget the day I fell in love with him either – February 15th, 2012.  On the 14th I was so mad at him for blowing off Valentines Day.  When he suggested rescheduling dinner for another night, I shot back with “Or I could just cook” to which he responded, “Ok.”  Needless to say, my blood was boiling.  We finally cancelled dinner plans completely and knowing that I was upset about something, he stopped by to see me before driving home to Pennsylvania.  We traded gifts and he headed home. 

Later that evening, I ended up in the Emergency Room with severe stomach pains which led to me being admitted.  He offered to come back down to sit with me.  On the 15th, he came to the hospital.  He was packing flowers, a portable DVD player and DVDs to entertain me.  He showed up later with a frozen coffee and magazines.  None of the gifts were what did me in, but instead the fact that he endured meeting most of my family and friends in the matter of days.  He was a trooper and I knew he’d always be by my side no matter what. 

So there’s our story….Nicholas Sparks isn’t going to base a movie on it, but I wouldn’t change it for the world.  I love that goober, he’s been my biggest headache and my biggest answer to prayer all wrapped into one.  Happy 2 Years, Honey =)

The "You're Sweet Because..." bouquet I made him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment