Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Bobby Flay Kind of Day

Today I’ll be Bobby Flay and Throw Down some recipes that we’ve tried lately.  I don’t know if you can even call these recipes since I never measure ANYTHING, but I'll share anyway.


BBQ Pizza (stole this idea from Cici’s Pizza)

Similar recipe: BBQ Pizza

2 store bought Flatbread crusts
Small container of pulled pork in BBQ sauce
Shredded cheddar cheese
Sweet Baby Rays BBQ Sauce
Green Peppers – diced
Onions – diced

Brush crusts with olive oil
Spread a thin layer of BBQ sauce on shells
Microwave pulled pork and scatter on top of sauce
Add peppers and onions (I would recommend sautéing these first…unless you like super crunchy veggies on pizza)
Add another layer of BBQ sauce
Top with cheese
Bake according to crust directions


Shrimp Lo Mein

My version is so far from authentic Chinese food that I can’t even find anything close to link to. 

Sautee veggies in vegetable oil – we used mushrooms, peppers, green onions, garlic and water chestnuts. 
Whip 2 eggs and add to the side of wok to scramble.
Add tail-off shrimp after rinsing and cook until pink
Add a packet of pre-cooked lo mein noodles.
Add stir-fry sauce, soy sauce and Sriracha Sauce (depending if you like it hot)
Toss around and serve



I use that recipe as my base but Hollynize it quite a bit based on reviews.

  1. I cook frozen mixed veggies, two peeled and diced potatoes, onions and mushrooms in chicken broth along with 4 large chicken breasts. 
  2. When cooked, drain the veggies and chicken but catch the broth in another bowl. 
  3. Cube up chicken and sit those ingredients aside.
  4. I double the ingredients for the sauce and reuse the chicken broth I boiled ingredients in.  (The regular recipe makes the pie very dry!)  I skip the onions because they are in the veggies.
  5. I also add a ton more seasonings to the mix.  Salt, pepper, celery seed, savory seasoning, garlic powder and onion powder. 
  6. Mix the sauce, chicken and veggies in a bowl. 
  7. I use the premade box crusts – roll out the bottom one, brush with egg whites and fill with guts and add 2nd crust on top.  Repeat for a second pie (doubling sauce makes plenty of guts for 2).  Seal the crusts, slit the tops and bake on bottom shelf on 375 for 45 minutes. 

The hubby has given all three a thumbs up.  I think he is tired of chopping onions for me, but seems quite content when his belly is full lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment