Thursday, September 19, 2013

Birchbox

I am a simple, plain Jane girl.  I wear the same jewelry most days of the week, fix my hair the same 3 ways and use the same basic cosmetics every morning.  I think paying large sums of money for beauty products is a complete waste of money. 

My usuals:

Shampoo and Conditioner – whatever is on sale at Target or WalMart

Styling products (curly, thick hair….it takes a lot) –
Hairspray and Gel– Suave Max Hold
Mousse – Suave Captivating Curl Cream Mousse

Soap – Plain old Dial

Make-up – pretty much the same stuff I’ve used all my life.  CoverGirl powder foundation, eye shadow trios, CoverGirl Lash Bash Volume waterproof mascara.  About a year ago I got crazy and became addicted to Clinique eyeliner; however, I only pay for them during free gift sales.  Getting all the extras softens the blow to the wallet.

Nail polish: OPI or Essie

Perfume: Vera Wang Princess is my favorite

So basically, cheap and simple is the theme here.  So after reading a blog linked to my friend’s blog (stalker much?!), I decided to try to broaden my horizons.

I signed up for Birchbox.  It’s basically a monthly box of high end, sample size, beauty products.  I’m hoping that I never find some $50 item that I can’t live without, but I just wanted to try new things and add a little spice to my life.

My first box came a few days ago.  I was sad to see that something had leaked a bit, but overall everything was still in good condition.  Here’s my review of the goods.



September Box:

Davines This is a Sea Salt Spray $27: 
Pros: Smells great – like coconuts and beaches.  Makes hair smell great and not sticky.
Cons: MegaVolume….they weren’t lying when they said this stuff gives you oomph.
Overall: Might be great for carefree vacation hair, but won’t be part of my normal routine.

Grand Central Beauty S.M.A.R.T. Skin Perfecting Polisher $38:
Pros: Doesn’t leave face feeling greasy.
Cons: Doesn’t really leave face feeling any different.
Overall:  As shown above, I have no face washing/care routine whatsoever.  This didn’t do anything fabulous that made me want to start a routine.

Le Couvent Des Minimes Gardner’s Hand Healer $8-19:
Pros: Cute mini tube will be great for my purse. 
Cons: Kinda greasy and doesn’t have a to die for scent.  Didn’t really notice a change in my hands after use.
Overall: I’m sticking to my standard lotion

Ruffian Nail Lacquer in Fox Hunt $10:
Pros: Cute travel size bottle and a fun summer color.
Cons: Not something I would consider for my nails for work.
Overall: I haven’t actually done a full pedi with this so I can’t rate the stay on power, but I am excited to try it out.

GlamNatural Cream Blush $32:
Pros: 3 different color choices with enough product in each for 2-3 days.  Shows up better and stays on longer than powder blush.
Cons: 2 colors are great…the 3rd, hello Circus make-up.
Overall: I hate liquid make-up on my face; therefore won’t be rushing to add this to my routine. 





No comments:

Post a Comment