Monday, December 29, 2014

Casserole Love

This recipe was a huge hit at brunch so I thought I'd share (my modifications are in parenthesis)

Pecan French Toast

2 loaves Pepperidge Farm cinnamon swirl bread (I used Walmart brand)
Butter, for pan
8 large eggs
2 cups half-and-half
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons sugar (I accidentally left out)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (I replaced this and nutmeg with Pumpkin Pie Spice)
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg (see above)
Dash salt

Praline Topping, recipe follows

In a large bowl, combine the eggs, half-and-half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and beat until blended but not too bubbly. Dip bread in egg mixture and arrange slices in a generously buttered 9 by 13-inch flat baking dish. Make two layers. (I tore the bread into small pieces so it would all fit in my pan.  I highly recommend doing this.)  There will be leftover liquid, you can spoon some extra onto the bread and then discard the rest.

Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.

The next day, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare and spread praline topping evenly over the bread and bake for 45 minutes, until puffed and lightly golden. 

Praline Topping:
1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup chopped pecans
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (used Pumpkin Pie Spice again)
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg (see above)

Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and blend well. Spread over bread as directed above.

No comments:

Post a Comment